Thursday, May 14, 2015

Introversion

From Frog and Toad: Alone

"This morning when I woke up I felt good because the sun was shining. I felt good because I was a frog. And I felt good because I have you for a friend. I wanted to be alone. I wanted to think about how fine everything is."

I walked my boys to school this morning, one of whom turns 7 years old today. We walked through our magical neighborhood where we spot bunnies, tarantulas, deer, and squirrels; our magical neighborhood where walking to school really is uphill, both ways. I didn't have Sally in the stroller. This meant I could walk home back up the mountain without heaving up my innards. Instead, I noticed sun reaching over the peak. I noticed birds, who'd been awake for hours already, perched on branches and rooftops. I smelled dew and pine. I touched a stem of lavender.

Happy birthday, my son. My life would be much dimmer if you weren't in it.

4 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Oh dear, I'm not on top of Louis's birthday. I'll bolster up my razzmatazz self for the weekend and make it up to him.

Tom Plummer said...

I second what Louise wrote. A lovely lovely blog, Sarah.

Megan Goates said...

Happy birthday, Louis!

Blue said...

seven is a wonderful age. hope today is full of happiness. for all of you!