Friday, August 28, 2015

In Charge

My feet are cold so I'm sitting here under the covers. The boys are off to school, and the girl is not awake yet, so I can do whatever I want. And right now whatever I want is to sit here in quiet, except for the clock ticking, and the dogs breathing, and the neighbor driving to work. It's a busy day coming, so I'm glad for this snap of peace. I don't like being busy, but it seems unavoidable. I didn't really know what I signed up for those times I pushed out those babies. Homework, piano practice, childhood anxiety, tennis lessons, self-esteem struggles, food issues, social skills, birthday parties, forming, accommodating, and executing other people's schedules, energy, energy, energy.

But joy, too. Joy at the oddest times.

Someone is calling for her dad, as always, so I'd better fall out of bed for the second time this morning and be The Mom. She's wearing her pale blue pajamas with birds, my favorite. She smells so good in the morning.

2 comments:

Megan Goates said...

Yes. Motherhood. Wow.

Jennie La said...

Wow. And gotta love whatever you want moments.